30 FRI – HS Boys Away Game
31 SAT – MS Boys & Girls BB Home
3 TUE – HS Girls BB Home
5 THU – HS Boys BB Away
6 FRI & 7 SAT – MS Boys BB Away
7 SAT – Community Carnival
Dear VCS Families,
I wanted to draw your attention to four important pieces of information that you need to be aware of:
- Re-enrollment for existing families ends February 1. You need to have your forms submitted to hold your spot in next year’s class. We are beginning to find ourselves with classes that will be full. If this happens, we will start a waiting list. Beginning February 2 a new family can guarantee their spot in a class for next school year.
- Security entrance instructions – everything is ready to go live, we will use next week to work out any bugs so you may find the doors are locked and you will need to push the button to get in. Starting Monday, February 9 they will be in use full time during school hours. Please read about all the details in this Family email below.
- Family emails – please do your best to read and scan the family email each week. This is our main form of communication to you so you know what is going on at school each and every week. You can always read previous emails via our website under the blog section.
- The Big Event – our school auction will be here before we know it. Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 28. We would love for you to attend. We also need your help in securing table sponsors, and direct donations for items to place on our silent auction tables. If you know of anyone who would be willing to donate a week in a warm place like Florida, Arizona, or California that would be appreciated.
We are truly blessed with an amazing student body and I believe more and more families want to join us as was evidenced by our recent Open House. We had 21 new families in attendance!! Keep spreading the word.
In His Service,
We are excited to begin using our new security doors and would like to share the new procedures with you. During arrival and dismissal times, the security doors will remain unlocked and parents and students may come and go freely. From 8:20 a.m. – 3 p.m. the doors will lock and anyone who needs to enter our building needs to follow simple procedures.
1. Push the button on the white box that is now mounted in our entryway near the door. This will alert the front office that you are there. You will then either be asked to identify yourself (via the speaker) or the door will be immediately unlocked for you if you are recognized.
2. Wait for the door to unlock (you will hear a click), it will remain unlocked for 8 seconds, then enter.
3. Sign in at the front office. ALL visitors MUST sign in at the front office and receive a visitor badge.
We will be testing this system next week, so you may encounter locked doors at some point. We will launch this system in full force beginning Monday, February 9. Thank you supporting our security campaign. We are excited to increase the security for our students, staff and visitors.
The Classes of 2016 & 2017 invite you to attend the Community Carnival to be held Saturday, February 7, 1-3pm at Valley Christian School. There will be carnival games for ages 12 and under with some games dedicated specifically to ages 5 and under! A flyer was sent home in Elementary Friday Folders. Be sure to keep an eye on your Friday Folder next week for a special surprise!
Claim Your 2014 Tuition Tax Credit
2014 Tuition reports will be emailed to each family by the VCS Business Manager by February 6. If you prefer a paper copy instead, please contact Mrs. Abel in the Business Office.
Priority Re-enrollment is OPEN
It is time to secure your seat for the 2015-16 school year. Please take a few moments and fill out the online re-enrollment information. A $50 discount on the registration fee is available through the month of February. Currently we have in-house re-enrollment going on and you can guarantee your seat until February 1. At that time, new families will have the same opportunity to claim available seats in each grade. Please read the re-enrollment instructional letter here.
In addition to the online portion, there are two forms for you to sign and return. These forms (including the tuition and fees schedule) are available for download here as well as on Sycamore at the end of the online process. We are so thankful for what God is doing in and through our school.
6th-9th Grade Girls Technology Workshop
Are you tech savvy? You will be after a day of hands-on fun with science, mathematics, engineering, and technology! Attend a workshop at UWO on Saturday, April 18, 8:30am-4:00pm. Cost is $5 per person which includes a light breakfast and lunch, workshops, and a t-shirt for girls. Tech Savvy prepares young women to be a scientists, engineers, or technology experts. Special sessions for parents and guardians help you learn how to support your daughter on a path to college and career. Workshops include: Biotechnology, Chemistry, Coding, Environmental Science, Medicine, Nanotechnology and more! For more info and online registration visit: www.aauw.org/what-we-do/stem-education/tech-savvy/ (online registration opens February 1.)
Measles Information from WI Public Health Dept.
• The United States experienced a record number of measles cases during 2014, with 644 cases from 27 states
• From January 1 to January 23, 2015, 68 people from 11 states were reported to have measles. Most of these cases are part of a large, ongoing outbreak linked to an amusement park in California.
• There has been a case reported in Northern Illinois that does not appear to be associated with the California outbreak.
• No recent cases have been reported in Wisconsin.
• Measles spreads easily and rapidly. Getting vaccinated is the best way to prevent measles.
• For additional information on measles and the current outbreak please go to: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/
• Please click for informational letter and measles and fact sheet.
This notice from the WI Division of Public Health is to make parents aware of the measles outbreak, to encourage review of vaccinations and to make sure children are up to date with their MMR vaccines.
Auction Bulletin Board
We need your help securing auction items for this year.
We have created the auction retailer bulletin board again this year in the front hallway. We are asking families to help us secure items for the auction by approaching local businesses that have donated to our event in the past as well as adding some new retailers this year. Here is how it works:
Check out the special bulletin board in the front hallway near the double doors by the kindergarten room. We have displayed a wide variety of retailers for people to choose from. If you know someone who owns one of these businesses, or you frequent their establishment, you would be the perfect person to approach that business(es).
Take the number of index cards that you can approach within the next 10 days. Under each index card, there is a label for that business. Sign your name on that label so we know who took the index card. If you have time to approach more, please take them. Just make sure that you are able to follow through. Take a retailer donor letter for each index card taken. Many retailers require something in writing when you are making a request.
Make your contact within 10 days and follow up with those businesses as needed. Please have all items to the school by March 9th. They can be turned into the front office or the Business office.
Please join us in making this our most successful auction yet. Thank you in advance for your help. All questions can be directed to Carey Holtz @ 231-9704 x. 20 or email@example.com.
As happens throughout each season, especially basketball, game dates and times can change. Please check the Athletic schedule OFTEN!! Go to www.valleychristianoshkosh.com. Click on the “Athletics” tab toward the top of the page. Then click the “2014-2015 Athletic Calendar” button. You will see the week’s activities from that screen. To view an entire schedule, go to the “View Schedules” box on the right side of the screen, check mark the schedule you want, and click on “View”. The schedule will appear in a printable format. Please contact Mr. Abel via phone or email if you have any questions.
HS Boys Basketball
Fri. Jan. 30 – Away Game @ Green Lake/Princeton
JV – 6:00 p.m.; Varsity – 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Feb. 5 – Away Game @ Randolph High School
JV – 6:00 p.m.; Varsity – 7:30 p.m.
HS Girls Basketball
Tues. Feb. 3 – Home Game vs Horicon – 6:00 p.m.
MS Boys Basketball
Sat. Jan. 31 – Home Tournament – 9:00 a.m. – A Team
Fri. Feb. 6 – Sat. Feb. 7 – Away Tournament @ Trinity Evangelical Lutheran School Oshkosh – B Team – TBD
Valley Christian School is excited to sponsor our Middle School A-team tournament tomorrow, 1/31. The game schedule is as follows:
9:00 am All Saints vs Celebration Lutheran
10:00 am Trinity Lutheran vs. Valley Christian
11:00 am All Saints vs. Trinity Lutheran
12:00 pm GIRLS: Trinity Lutheran vs. Valley Christian
1:00 pm Celebration Lutheran vs. Valley Christian
2:00 pm Celebration Lutheran vs. Trinity Lutheran
3:00 pm All Saints vs. Valley Christian
Since this is a tournament, all students will be required to pay. Admission charges are: FAMILY…$12, ADULT…$5, SENIOR…$3, STUDENT…$3.
It should be an exciting day of basketball! We hope to see you all there!!
MS Girls Basketball
Sat. Jan. 31 – Home Tournament Game vs Trinity Evangelical Lutheran School – 12:00 p.m.